Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Vibrant Lone Star


 I have a Lone Star quilt that I made a few years ago hung as a model for the upcoming Lone Star quilt class later this month, but I wanted to make a working model as well. I have been collecting some batiks over the past several months, so I got them out and started playing with progressive layouts. You can use any fabrics for this quilt, but I had collected some grays and reds and wanted to use them in the same quilt. How to blend them?
After I settled on these eleven fabrics, the final decision (in my mind, at least) was whether to put the black and gray with the gold squares next to each other, or separate them with the gray mottled fabric. Part of me wanted to put the gray mottled in between them because technically speaking it's darker, so if you are doing a progression of color, it should probably be in between. But I really liked the effect that they have on each other when they are side by side. It looks like the squares are spilling from the black onto the gray. You can see which way I chose...what would you have done?

I only cut one strip of each color the other night so I could see how they looked as a star point. I will probably sew one or two points completely together ...I have to leave some of it to demo cutting and sewing during class. I don't have a background for it either, so I need to take the point with me to find something that the star will show up well on. I have a few ideas....any suggestions?

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like the 2 next to each other. I like the spilling effect.

Terri said...

Ditto Wanda... but as far as background, you are on your own. I like contrast in my quilts, but you have to contrast the outer points. You know, some questions have a ready answer. Some are hard, and I save those for later... give my brain some time to think about it. So no help from me. Sorry. Good Luck. I know you will think of something great.
Hugs

Maggi said...

I like this arrangement. It makes me think of ice turning o fire.