Sunday, March 29, 2015

A scrapilicious finish!

 I spent Sunday finishing the Summer Fling stringpieced  quilt, with a little help from my friends...
 They do love to quilt!

I had some problems with top thread breakage throughout the quilting of this quilt, so I was really happy to get it off the frame. I changed the needle twice and tried slowing down (it's an easy, flowy panto, so it's easy to go too fast), which didn't seem to make any difference. That leaves the thread and batting.  I used a new spool of variegated thread, so maybe it's to blame. I had two pieces of the same cotton batting, and used some of it for another quilt recently and had no problems. So I'm still not sure what happened. It's really frustrating, though!

 The color isn't as true on these last 2 pics as I took them in the kitchen and not outside, but you can see the binding and label up close. It is sewn on now.


Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I get most of my thread breakage when my needle isn't in quite right. I have round top needles (no flat side) and being right handed I tend to get them angled slightly to the left and then thread keeps breaking. I straighten it and everything is fine again.

barbara woods said...

beautiful scrap quilt, i love using up scraps