Monday, July 11, 2016

A new sampler finished, retreat planning and a quilting problem....help!!!

I got the quilting and binding done on the new sampler, Doing the Splits, the other day...so happy to have it finished. Conrad must've been bored as he had to help me trim the edges for the binding. Or maybe he just really likes this quilt.

Don't I look handsome?xs
If you read my blog much, you know that I try to come up with different blocks and settings for each sampler. I design two a year for my classes and  I'm really excited about this setting. Hopefully my quilters will be too.
I loaded the baby version of Off the Beaten Path the other day too, but am having some issues getting it quilted. I accidently broke the needle when I hit the clip on the edge that holds the quilt taut. Now I'm having skipped stitches and breaking thread. I can deal with breaking thread, but those skipped stitches.....arghhhhhh. I have had to take a partial row out several times (the same row, mind you). I put a practice piece on the end of the frame so that I could practice after adjusting the needle several times. I tried different speeds. I don't have stitch regulator, so can't blame that. When I practiced, it looked good, so then I tried quilting and more skipped stitches. I have changed the needle 3 times, thinking maybe it could be a bad needle. I worry that I don't get it in straight too, but I have adjusted several times and it looks like it's inserted correctly.
I took another half row out earlier and practiced some more, but still problems. It says in my book it can be out of time when it does that but it looks like it is lined up correctly. Anyone have any advice for me?

The crazy thing is that I am using the same thread as the sampler and it quilted just fine. It's a new panto for me, but I don't usually have problems using a new panto. I'm not happy!



In happier news, my online friends and I are getting excited to meet for our retreat at Log Cabin Quilting in Exira, IA on Thurs. One of them left Knoxville today to give her time to travel. She is going to get to another friend's house in Lisle, Ill. tomorrow and they will leave on Wednesday for the trip to IA. The two sisters coming from the west coast are leaving Wed. am and will fly in to Omaha that afternoon. We are going out to eat in the Old Market that evening before we head to Exira on Thurs. am. Our Florida friend flies in to Des Moines Wed. AM and is getting to the retreat location early...she can get it all set up for us....or just shop! The other two are coming from Minnesota and Ollahoma on Thursday. We have been friends online for years but have never actually met. We do a lot of group chatting on FB. We've been planning this for a long time, so it's hard to believe it's almost here! I shopped today for fabric for two new projects for upcoming classes. I can't wait to start them!

4 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Out of time means the hook in the bobbin case area is no longer in time with the needle stroke. This commonly happens when you hit something hard as the needle stops but the hook continues moving a bit. I don't have a clue how to get it back in time but a lot of longarmers do know because they are trained on that when they get their lessons with new machines. So...if you know someone who has a longarm, maybe ask if they can help.

floristic said...

You could call the repair technician from Handcart Quilts. He makes house calls on longarm quilt machines and services all brands. They are located in Claundria Ia and come up to Council Bluffs and Omaha.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Lisle, IL is next to the town that hubby works in. There used to be a great quilt shop there (closed due to retirement). I like the creative setting for your sampler. As for the machine, sorry, I can't help. Is the test piece the same fabric and batting as the quilt you are trying to quilt? Different fabrics/battings make for different tests. Good luck, and have fun this weekend. I'll be headed to 2 different quilt shows (one will have the wedding quilt in it, from your pattern).

Unknown said...

Sounds like the timing. If you search YouTube there's "how to" instructions for most brands of machines. Good luck Jean.