Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Fabric folding fun



A few weeks ago I saw a video online about fabric folding to make these fantastic stars by Cheryl Phillips. She is updating the original pattern from the book Wedgeworks. As soon as I saw the cover of the book I realized I had that book, so went to find it. 
I gathered some gorgeous pieces of fabric I got recently and got to work. I meant to take more pictures as I assembled it, but forgot. She gives a good demo of the process of folding the fabric and inserting it into seams which is much better than my explanation anyway!

The trickiest part for me was getting the folded triangles layered around the center evenly. You wouldn't think it would be that hard, but surprisingly it was when I placed the center on it. I used a little glue to help hold them in place as pins weren't enough. 



I was at this step yesterday when I got it out to finish it. I sewed the scalloped edge down carefully with matching thread. I always use matching thread when topstitching. I've had plenty of experience topstitching, but that doesn't mean it will turn out perfectly. It was approximately 19.5" at this point. Since I made it to try the technique, I was only going to make one block. I added a one inch border to it and an envelope back so that it can be used for a 20" pillow. It could also be used as a tabletopper.


 The folding technique was fun to try and a pretty easy way to accomplish these nice points. 






 

3 comments:

Karen said...

I reminds me of the old fashion kaleidoscope. So beautiful and love your fabrics/colors.

http://thankfullga447 said...

Wow this is gorgeous, you have patience. Love the colors. I am getting back to quilting. I watch a lot of You tube and Bumble Stitchers is fun to watch. She loves watching Lori Holt. Take care and it is going to get warmer soon.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That's cool looking.