Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday walk

It was such a beautiful day today so I wanted to go for a walk. I decided to go see the new Pedestrian Bridge as it opened last week and I have been dying to walk over it. We have been watching it go up all summer, and I have seen it lit up at night, what an awesome sight. This bridge spans the Missouri River that separates Council Bluffs, IA and Omaha, Ne. On the Omaha side they have been working on their Riverfront project for many years. They have achieved a beautiful area of parks, and walkways. Hopefully the Council Bluffs side will be beautiful as well once they finish it. Some work has been done, but we have a long ways to go.

On the IA side, the ramp starts near Playland Park and takes you over rough riverfront ground that will someday be a park.

The bridge curves around and gradually rises over the river. It is a suspended bridge, so you can feel a little movement on it. Today there were many people crossing from both directions. It was windy today so once out over the water, the wind was pretty strong.
I am coming up to the first tower.
Boy it is tall, it sort of freaks me out to look up at it.
This is the Omaha side ramp that curves around to bring you down from the bridge (or up to the bridge, depending on which way you are coming from). I am not sure but the circular area seems like a meeting place or arena area. There was an Indian tent on the other side, but I didn't go down to see what it was. I assume it was monument of some kind. I will go check it out another day. What a great walk!

1 comment:

Sara said...

That is an awesome bridge! I would love to walk that and look out over the river!