Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mom's Good Wishes quilt....shhhhh.....it's a secret!

 I am making a Good Wishes quilt for my mom since she has to go through chemo now. The thought behind it is that you make a quilt with pockets and people fill them with good wishes, small presents, poems, jokes...basically anything that will help them through any days they aren't feeling so good, or to use for warmth during their chemo treatments. I made one for a friend of mine several years ago. I used batiks and lots of trims on hers, as she loves crazy quilts. It turned out very heavy, so I wanted to do this one a bit differently.

 I played around with some fabrics I had, and pinned the pockets together, then tried to come up with a good layout.  It is sort of a random design I came up with that doesn't really have a pattern, but makes arrows where some come together. I started it Tuesday during my sew-in with friends, then worked on it yesterday as well.
 The top is finished, now to quilt it. I got a gorgeous gold and rusty red colored floral for the back. I plan on doing some squiggly lines through the sashings. Not sure about the borders yet, but will probably use a panto. I am going to add some buttons to the pockets for stability after it's quilted. She doesn't know about this, so if you are reading this and you know her, please....mums the word until I finish it and give it to her!
I then got out the Potato Chip quilt and got to work sewing the squared up sections together. I love the colors on this one and think it will be pretty when finished. I have 4 more blocks to finish, then I will be ready to sew it together.

Today I need to get ready for a camping trip I am going on this weekend with my daughter. I hope the weather cooperates!

1 comment:

Karen said...

That came together very nicely, Jean. She is going to love it. I love the colors of your Potato Chip top. Going to be very nice when it's done.