Thursday, December 6, 2012

Mighty Tasty

A lot of people were interested in making the braid using the HexNMore ruler during the demo I did a few weeks ago at Cut Up and Quilt, so I have decided to teach a class using the pattern Tasty by Jaybird Quilts, the designer of the ruler. I had a fat quarter pack that has a nice fall/wintry look, so decided to use it. I wanted lots of variety so I cut a 2 1/2" strip of each fat quarter. Then I just started putting them together.
They turn out nice and straight using this method of cutting. I pressed after each addition, but have used no sizing at this point. I am going to use sizing before I sew the two braids together. Since the edges are cut at an angle, I am worried about stretching. The beauty of this ruler is that you could use it to make four different size braids, depending on what size strips you start with.

I am patiently waiting for Cut Up and Quilt to get the newly released pattern, Lotus, in so I can start working on it. 

No comments: