Thursday, January 22, 2015

Quilting starts with friendship....


Or maybe it should say New Friendships start with Quilting. You might remember some talented ladies that finished their first quilt right after Thanksgiving. I met with them again last night to begin their next quilting adventure, the Sunbonnet Sue Sampler. It's sort of funny to finish Sue with one group and start another group on it a week later, but that is how it goes sometimes. It's a great quilt for quilters wanting to learn more than just the basics.
Avis
Last night they learned about making HST a little bigger than you want them so that you can square them up after they are sewn. I made many HST before I started doing this and even though it takes a little more time to do the squaring up, the blocks go together much smoother when you do. Plus they are more square!

Laural

As you can see, they all have very different fabrics, and had fun looking over one anothers' choices.

 The Friendship Star was last night's mission, and when they got it finished, we started work on the Shoo Fly block. Marta got hers finished, the others will show us their finishes next time.
Marta
 They are definitely off to a great start!

3 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I redrew your pattern, Snake Dance (now renamed Intertwinded) last night. It will be the wedding quilt for my youngest son. Mine will be 8 rows by 9 rows long, using 8 different colored 'rows' with black centers and white background. Now to make copies of the proper size 'Triangulations' papers so I can start making all the HST's I'll need. I'm hoping to start some stitching on it Saturday, at my guild sew-in. I'll show progress on my blog, later.

Susan said...

Off to a great start indeed! I love all the stars!

http://thankfullga447 said...

The beginners have a great teacher.