Wednesday, July 29, 2015

A layer of tulle





Is everyone busy working on their Red, White and True quilt?The  Quilt Along finale is next Monday. You will get the border directions as well as be able to enter a really excellent drawing. And it is something all quilters covet....more details soon!

I declared my Happy Village finished, so the next step is to back  it, place a layer of tulle on top and quilt. I had no idea what colors of tulle to buy, except I knew for this quilt I didn't want the tulle to darken it. I picked out several colors I liked and tried them out. Above you see the village with no tulle.  I took all the pictures in the same lighting at the same time, so hopefully it's a true representation. (Conrad also found a new love during this process and had to leave the room until I was finished!)



One layer of any of these is still pretty light, but the tulle is used to hold everything in place as you quilt and after, so is just used as an enhancement.
Light pink tulle
Look them over and see what you think.

White tulle
I didn't notice a lot of difference between the five colors I had chosen.
Light, bright green tulle
I thought the greens brought a little brightness to the mix.
Green tulle
The blue enhanced the blues a bit.
Medium blue tulle
Which one would you choose? I have it layered and ready to quilt, so I want to get started on it today.

8 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've never used tulle before (I don't free motion quilt). I like the white best. It has the truest colors in my opinion.

stitchinpenny said...

I like the green, but the real question as always as what do you like best.

Susan said...

It's hard to see in the photos, but I think I would go with the white. What did you decide?

Working on getting caught up on my RW&T blocks...I should be ready for borders on Monday!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Interesting! I prefer it without the tulle because the colors are clearer, but if you have to use it, it looks to me that the greens work best. The others seem to dull and muddy the overall design. Can't wait to see what you decide!

Chris H said...

Like Karen, I like it without the tulle! It's gorgeous Jean.

Rachel said...

Either green adds to the design...but really any makes a fun addition! Very interesting design!

Maggi said...

I like the green but they all look good.

Karen said...

I like either the white or the light, bright green. They don't seem to cover up your work as much. But it depends on the look you are after. Looking forward to see how this looks quilted.