Monday, July 27, 2015

Red, White and True Quilt Along Sewing #5


Are you ready to sew this quilt together? Gather your colorful Axel blocks and let's get started!




 Throw Assembly
Line up your 12 Axel blocks as shown, paying attention to the direction of the Color One and Two stripsets. If you are careful, you should be able to turn your blocks so that the pressed rows within the blocks are already going in opposite directions. If you have a few that don’t, you can repress them."The red stripe is always horizontal in my layout.

Sew the blocks in rows. Press each row in the opposite direction so that the seams will dovetail when you sew the rows together. That's it! You are ready for the borders next week. 

Twin Assembly
Line up your 24 Axel blocks as shown, paying attention to the direction of the Color One and Two stripsets. If you are careful, you should be able to turn your blocks so that the pressed rows within the blocks are already going in opposite directions. If you have a few that don’t, you can repress them. "The red stripe is always horizontal in my layout.




Continue making rows to make the twin size as shown below. 

Sew the blocks in rows. Press each row in the opposite direction so that the seams will dovetail when you sew the rows together.

Ta Da! You are finished! 

Read on for some alternate layouts.  You can get easy to print free PDFs of all the directions on my Craftsy page. Check out the pictures in the Flickr group and add your own! 

I love this as a patriotic quilt, but I knew I would want to make it using different fabrics too. So while I had the blocks on the design wall, I played around with a few other settings for the twelve blocks using just what I had made for the Red White and True quilt.

Throw Alternate #1
There are other layouts possible, so before you sew yours together, play with the blocks a bit in case you want to make it again using different fabrics.

Throw Alternate #2
I'm making a baby quilt with the same amount of blocks, and a fourth coloring of the block. I wanted to use some of the airplane border fabric in my blocks, so substituted the border fabric in the corners of three of my background Axel blocks. Same amount of blocks, but different look. You could also switch the orientation of the red/blue stripes to change the look. There are many possibilities.
My baby quilt version

Twin Alternate #1
There are many more possibilities for the twin since there are many more blocks. What do you see? I've added a coloring page for each size to the PDF, so print it out and see what you can come up with!
Twin Alternate #2




1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I just printed it out. Thanks.