Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Building a Happy Village...


I spent Saturday teaching quilters how to make seaside villas, magical vacation spots and other fun villages using Karen Eckmeier's book Happy Villages. They added mountains, skies and water to create interesting views.
Diane
I took multiple pictures throughout the day so that we could remember where we started! They got more creative as they created their vistas...adding interesting details.
The cottages, castles and waterfront villas appeared as they added more pieces to their work. It was amazing!

Jane

If you look closely, you can see that Joyce added an island with a bridge.

Joyce


Jeanette used an Alaskan vacation picture as her inspiration. It was beautiful.
Jeanette

Jonette has several series of long steps down to her waterfront.
Jonette
This was my working model for the class. I worked along with them, adding pieces to show the steps to creating these villages. Everyone enjoyed the freedom to create and became more enthusiastic about their projects as the day went on and they could see the beauty. Since you can change as you go if you decide you don't like it, the sky is the limit. (and your basket of scraps!)
My working model for class

3 comments:

Gene Black said...

How fun! I see rotary cutters in a couple of photos..but am I right in thinking that a lot of this is cut with scissors?

Angie in SoCal said...

I can hardely wait to get my book and start on one. So fun to see these. Thanks for sharing!

Susan said...

Oh my gosh! What a fun class that must have been!