Sunday, November 8, 2015

Free form pinwheels


 Saturday's Peppermint Pinwheels class  was so much fun. The pattern is from the book Cultural Fusion Quilts by Sujata Shah. She uses free form cutting methods to make slight curves and interesting patterns. I was fascinated by several patterns in the book, and decided to make Peppermint Pinwheels first. It was so fast and easy to make, and so much fun. I love trying new techniques and this is similar to how I cut the Circle and Spin series blocks and then square them up. No worrying about seams matching as each  block has an identity of it's own.

Jane used some gorgeous blue and white batiks for a striking look...then we played around with centers.

Diana had a collection of  Christmas fabrics and spent some time pairing them up. She also had some Christmas bandanas, so tried cutting one of them up for a pinwheel. As you can see, it turned out great!
Bandana on the right
 Dianne is using 2 different backgrounds on her colorful blocks.
These blocks are 16"finished, so it doesn't take long to make a quilt. I am excited to see the finished quilts from this class! 

1 comment:

Deb said...

Why do you do this to me? No that I see it in different color ways...I want to make one! Do you sell this as a pattern?