Sunday, April 3, 2016

Two finishes!



I didn't get much quilting done on this new Circle and Spin series quilt ( unnamed as of this AM) through the week, so I was determined to finish it Friday after work. I came home, didn't sit down to relax first (that is my key element to getting something done after work!) and got busy. 

 Here it is coming off the frame. I always take some pictures at this point so I have a record of each quilt, the backing and the panto design.
 Because of the flowing nature of this design, I used the Ebb and Flow panto by Hermione Agee and variegated thread. I love how the quilting design flows with the quilt design to enhance it. I am having difficulty naming this quilt, as I see mountains, I see a flowing river...
 The backing is a batik fabric with a basket weave effect, so it flows as well. I used a darker blue/green batik with shots of orange and gold for the binding to bring out the colors in the quilt.

 Since I had some cancellations in my Stitching Oasis Machine Apron class yesterday, I took the quilt with me to trim and work on binding while my student sewed. I never cancel classes because of low student signups, as I know they have already carefully chosen their fabrics and are excited to make the project. I don't usually sew while teaching a class unless I'm demonstrating a technique, but since I only had one student I didn't want to spend the day hovering over her (that can be unnerving for them).So I took her through each step and then trimmed, and made the binding while she sewed. It worked well, we had some great conversations and she got her project finished except for the final sewing down of the binding. She has it all pinned and ready to sew. I love her vintage look fabric! She made this for a gift, another good reason for the no cancellation policy.


Plus I got my quilt bound in between. And no hovering!
As I'm working on a project, names flit through my head as I work. Sometimes I think of the perfect name right away, other times it takes some brainstorming. Since this project has been waiting to be quilted for awhile, so has the name. Here are some of my thoughts on names:
Riverflow
Sleepy River
Sunset Mountain or Mountain Sunset
Slow Dance
Valley Trail or River Trail 
(yea the whole river/mountain thing is what I see when I look at it, can you tell?)
Any thoughts on these or any other ideas?

I tried to do a closeup of the binding but you still can't really see it. I need to take some better pics outside. 
 I have a busy day of paperwork (ugh, not my favorite) and then want to load Spinning Parasols on the frame and begin the quilting. It won't take long to quilt if I can just get to it! Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

Karen said...

That has to be hard, naming a quilt when it doesn't just jump out at you. Good Luck! I'm sure you will come up with the perfect name.