Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Eric Carle pillows

You might remember the canvases I covered a few weeks ago for the library at school. I had some fabric left. It niggles at me, figuring out what to make out of the leftovers.
I bought 2 - $4.00 pillows at Walmart.
I cut them in half, shoved the stuffing inside and finished off the cut edge with seam binding. Yea, I know, not really my best sewing, the stuffing kept trying to escape, ok? but they are sewn shut and no raggedy edge.
Do they look more professionally sewn this way? (no closeups please!) They turn out about 12" x 18".
I started off with this fabric that I didn't actually use on a canvas.  I always make pillow cases envelope style...easier to take off and wash without ruining the pillow.
I love the fireflies! and that hungry caterpillar.
And of course, Brown Bear, Brown Bear.
 I was a little short of number fabric to overlap for the envelope back, so added the "what do you see?" panel to the front, which gave me more for the back.
I am taking these to school too.

Teaching the first session of Beginning Quilting tomorrow night. It's always fun to meet new quilters!

7 comments:

Betsy said...

They look great Jean!!

JustCindy said...

Great idea! I guess I will go to Walmart today. lol I need pillows.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I used to buy the travel size pillows at Wal-Mart and make cute pillowcases for my grandchildren when they were little. I don't know if they still carry that size. Yours are extra cute in that neat fabric.

Nancy Sue said...

Love ...love LOVE!!! this idea. Why are the smaller pillows more expensive than the bigger ones at times? Great idea. I'm going to use it this week!! Thank you!

Nancy Sue said...

Had to come back and comment again because you just hit 100 followers with me. Congrats!!

Micki said...

What cute pillows! You did a wonderful job!
Micki

Karen said...

Jean, the pillows are great. What fun for the kids to use while reading a book!