I spent some time playing with squares the other day. I paired up 2 opposites on the colorwheel and then put them together starting at opposite ends with the darkest and working my way across to light. So the darkest blues are in line with the lightest oranges, and the darkest oranges are in line with the lightest blues. I like the effect, but can see that though my blues fade very well, I don't have very many light oranges.
I did the same thing with red and green...
and purple and yellow. Some of my darker yellows were goldish and some verge on orangey. I did some rearranging after these pictures, found a few more lights and like them better.
I decided that if I wanted them in one quilt, they needed to be narrower and longer, so I rearranged them in 12 rows of 6 (they were 10 rows of 7 before).