Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Ruby Shadow...the Red and White Challenge Show It!

SewCalGal has been hosting the Red and White Challenge all year. It started out with a virtual Quilt Show. It then moved on to a design phase. I don't use red as much as other colors so I thought it would be fun to join in and design a quilt for the  Design It Challenge.  It was interesting to focus on a two color quilt and I came up with a few variations using EQ, so I had to choose which version I would make for the Make It phase of the challenge. I decided on my third variation, Ruby Shadow.

Should I use red fabric on a white background or white on a red background? I liked the idea of the red on a stark white background, so I chose four different reds. I wrote about the process in my Make It Challenge post last month.
It's now time for the Show IT phase of the challenge. Go to SewCalGal's Show IT post and linky party to see the virtual Quilt Show of quilts that were designed and made in 2014 by each quilter. It's interesting to visit each one and see their red and white beauties. This phase of the challenge lasts until Oct. 13 then the Quilt Show starts for the Red and White quilts made from purchased or free patterns. 
While you are there, vote for YOUR favorite red and white quilt in the show! (Update, voting will begin Oct. 14. I will post about it again next week.)
I'm glad I participated in this challenge. It was fun to design a quilt within the parameters of the challenge rules. I loved visiting the other quilters as the challenge progressed to see what they had done. I don't have a lot of time to participate in many online challenges, swaps or other fun activities with my job and class schedule, but I think a challenge like this stretches us as designers and quilters. This challenge worked for me because of it's realistic deadlines. Plus I liked that it was a design challenge. The pattern for this quilt is now available for purchase in my Craftsy store!

Thanks, SewCalGal for inspiring me to go Red and White! 





9 comments:

http://thankfullga447 said...

I love it, I remember you said you don't use red that much. I love red fabric. I am still recuperating at home - found an infection so I won't be able to make the show. Take photos.

Marlene @ KISSed Quilts . com said...

Love the design effect. Nice!!

Mary said...

Glad you made a Red & White Quilt for the SHOW It! Guess I missed the Memo about voting on the 14th.

Karen said...

Two color quilts are so striking! Beautiful work as always, Jean. You have such talent.

Raewyn said...

Your Red and White entry is gorgeous... and very striking. Good on you for getting the pattern written too. I also found the challenges this year very good :-)

Maggi said...

I love this and will head over to vote as soon as it opens.

Laura B said...

Yours is gorgeous, but I'm still trying to figure out how to vote...

BizyStitches said...

Saw this on FB and wanted to let you know I voted. Love the quilt.

Raewyn said...

Just popping back to say congratulations on winning!! Well deserved!