Sunday, March 28, 2021

Fabrications

Even though I've been sewing throughout the the pandemic, I haven't been blogging as much. I am not sure why, as I have always liked blogging as a way to connect to other quilters as well as keeping a journal of my quilting journey. I have talked to others who feel they got bogged down and weren't as productive as they could've been. I definitely have felt this way. 


I started working on Fabrications in July. Using a block I designed and different colorizations of it, I played with layouts even though I had a general idea of how I wanted it to look. That is part of the fun of designing a quilt...trying out different ideas and layouts. 

I had several white Moda Grunge fabrics, but none were enough to make this design so I decided to use 3 different ones I had on hand since I had 3 different fabric colorways. It's not that noticeable in the pictures.
I like taking pictures outside because of the lighting, but it can also be fickle sometimes.

As I worked on finishing it, I debated many names for it. I even asked friends on Facebook to weigh in on a name. To my surprise, many thought the large colorful shapes in the quilt resembled the covid virus pictures/symbols we had all gotten used to seeing over the summer. So their suggestions reflected that. It definitely gave me something to think about but I decided on Fabrications because for me it meant creating something new and beautiful in the midst of a lot of distress and worry in the world around us. 




2 comments:

Karen said...

I'm so glad to see you back here! Love your new quilt pattern and I love the idea of using the different white grunge backgrounds.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like it. I didn't think of Covid at all. I've not gotten that much done during Covid, but I'm still working every day, so my schedule hasn't changed much, unlike so many other people's has.