Saturday, August 8, 2009

Memory Quilt

I have been working on a memory quilt for a friend of my daughter who lives in Seattle. She had seen pictures of one we made my mom and dad 9 years ago to celebrate their 50th Anniversary. We had everyone make a block, kids too, and then I put them together to make a very large wall quilt. She wanted something similiar for her parents for their 50th Anniversary, so she contacted me to see what to do and if I would put it together. So that is what they did, using pictures and other things to invoke memories of each person. It was fun working on it, though I worried a bit about choosing the fabrics for them, but in the end I went with colors that went with the blocks they had made. I finished it yesterday and sent it off.
Here is a picture of Mom and Dad with their 5oth Anniversary Quilt. I scanned the picture in so it is not as good quality as a digital picture. They will celebrate 60 years in Feb.

13 comments:

Vivian said...

Lovely job on the memory quilt. I like your color selections for bordering the blocks.
Is the outside border a striped fabric? or is it pieced? It's the perfect choice.
Such a memorable photo of your parents with their quilt.

Toni said...

What beautiful quilts!! Both will hold special memories for a long time.

Congrats to your parents!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a lot of fun when lots of people make the blocks. The colors look great. Now you can work on your own things, right?

Doina said...

Beautiful quilts!

Betsy said...

Jean both quilts are beautiful. It was so nice of you to undertake that task.

Susan said...

Oh Jean...it is beautiful! I love the colors and the quilting is perfect. I know they will love it!

The quilt for your parents is great too. 60 years together is a pretty amazing thing...congratulations to them!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

I love the memory quilts, so awesome! I would love to make one of these one day. :)

You won the give away on my blog by the way! Email me with your address so I can send it out! :)

Margarita said...

Both lovely quilts Jean, I would also like to try this "one" day.

Gina said...

What great quilts

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Quilter Kathy said...

Amazing memory quilts! I'm sure they will be greatly treasured!

Willeke de la Chambre said...

Both quilts turned out very well!
Very nice thought! A real treasure indeed!
Greetings,

Eileen said...

Oh! both quilts are wonderful. But I really love the one you just finished. Fabulous!

Julianne said...

OH such lovely quilts. My parents 50th is next year.. You have givein me a idea.