Sunday, January 8, 2012

Tumbling Blocks progress

I sewed with friends on Tuesday and my first order of business was to get the Tumbling Blocks pieces on the design wall. Originally I planned to just mix the colors up, but after laying out several of the color sets as I cut, I decided I liked the waving rows better. The pattern I am using calls for 11 vertical rows of blocks for the twin, but I decided I wanted it a little wider, so plan to do 13 rows. I have 9 different color groups, so I will need to make more blocks of certain colors. I want to finish out the blue row on the right, that will make 11 rows, then not sure what else. There will be partial rows on the ends and I haven't decided for sure how to do them. This shows clusters of colors on the left side. I am going to fill in around the edges with black.
 I did a little cleaning yesterday, and then spent the rest of the day sewing. I had gotten most of the vertical rows sewn into long strips Tuesday and Wednesday, so after pressing them, I started to sew them into pairs. With a lot of pinning, I have 4 pairs finished.
 Then I had to put it away and work on something else! Hope to get back to it today.
I have my next round robin project to finish this weekend too, as we meet on Thursday. The one I am working on this month has a sewing theme, so I thought a selvage log cabin block might go well. More on that later!
 Conrad was helping me with the selvages...yes that tub really is all selvages.
Smokey just napped.

7 comments:

Heather said...

The Tumbling Blocks are looking fantastic! Love the arrangement. :o)

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Wow I love your tumbling blocks! A lot of work~ but so cool. :-) Have a happy day!

Toni said...

WOW, that is A LOT of blocks!! They are looking great!

Love kitty helpers!

Barb said...

Your tumbling blocks are sooooooooooooooooooooo awesome!

Karen said...

Jean, that is amazing! It's going to be a wonderful quilt. Hope you're keeping this on. :-)

Betsy said...

Wow, those tumbling blocks are breathtaking.

Julianne said...

I do love those tumbling blocks.