Sunday, February 15, 2015

Lots of 3-D beauty!


.Jane. 
I taught the Honeycomb Waffle, Too class yesterday at Cut Up and Quilt. It was a great lesson in choosing fabrics of different values to make an eye-catching optical illusion. Once the quilters got some blocks on the design wall, we talked about how some of the values related to others. 

Susan's block layout


Dianne cutting

 We noticed that the darks didn't always have to be the same level of darkness.
Diane K
 The mediums are the trickiest to choose: sometimes a medium could be a light or dark, depending on what the value of the other fabrics are that are paired with it.

Rochelle
 Tone on tones and batiks worked well for this quilt, but so did fabrics with more definite patterns.

Lorraine

Some lights were really light...some were not so light. It didn't matter, as long as they related well to the other two fabrics in their set.
Dianne T
 Stripes make wonderful patterns as well as add to the design.

Susan J used one fabric that had script.

Betty 
  It was a great class and once they knew what to do, they really worked hard, getting many half blocks finished. I think that there will be some finished quilts soon.

I will be teaching this class again in March, so I asked them to bring their finished tops to show that class what they can do. (it was a thinly disguised challenge!)
Becky C
 I need to do some cleaning today, then hope to finish the new quilt that I started on retreat. Maybe I will get some inspiration while doing so and get it named! Happy Sunday!


1 comment:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've run into value problems with my son's wedding quilt (your Twist & Shout pattern). What I thought was different values, turned out to be too close in value, when put together. Now I get to 'rethink' how I'm going to proceed. Oh well.