Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Snowfall

 Last summer I received an email that a design I had submitted was going to be in the Jan/Feb. 2022 Love of Quilting magazine. The design was my version of clouds of snow coming down and ending softly on the ground. Living in the Midwest, snowfall can sometimes be really annoying, especially when you have to get somewhere, but it can also be really beautiful as it comes down, coating all the trees and landscape in a coat of white. 

It was exciting to hear and I got busy and started making it. The blocks at the top of the quilt are bigger and somewhat darker...then they get lighter as they get to the bottom. I didn't use ombre fabric, but gave it an ombre look by using the fabrics that I did.

I was on retreat when I finished it, so put a quilt on this large cutting table and used it press the quilt. I was worried it would get dirty...so much white! 


I asked a friend and local long arm quilter, Michael, to quilt it. I wanted snowflakes, but nothing too heavy.  He had an edge to edge he liked and came up with the idea to redesign the computerized pattern to quilt it heavier in the lighter areas of the quilt and lighter in the areas where the blocks were more pronounced. Sort of a reverse ombre to the pattern I had made with the blocks. 

He sent me pix as he worked and after it was finished. The ombre quilting doesn't show up well in the magazine pix, but you can see it better in these. I didn't get a lot of pictures taken of it before I sent it off, so hope to get some better ones of the quilting when I get it back. 



It was a great idea and finished off the quilt nicely. 






2 comments:

Karen said...

I love the design and the quilting is beautiful! You and Michael make a great team.

Rachel said...

LOVE your quilt Jean and appreciate all your explanation of the process and also Michael's quilting decisions. Sure hope you bring to Show and Tell for future enjoyment of quilters like me!! That will be so fun to enjoy for you!!