Saturday, October 27, 2012

Do you put labels on all of YOUR quilts?

At the last class for the Four Patch Petunia Minicourses, I asked if anyone wanted to learn how to finish their quilt. Patty and Kelsey were going to quilt their quilt, but the other three were anxious to learn the finishing steps. So Thursday night we met to learn how to layer and tie the quilt. Christie's quilt top (above)is so bright and cheerful, it will make her happy just to have it nearby! Bunnie and Kellie are still working on their quilts as they want to make them larger, so they are practicing the finishing steps on smaller quilts. I didn't get pix of them last night, but will next week. Hopefully when they get theirs finished, they will bring them in for a photo op! Next week....binding!

How many people label all of their quilts? I think it's a great idea, but honestly it doesn't always get done. I like to make labels using the photo fabric, so that I can add a picture or graphic to it. I needed a label the other day, so decided to crop a part of a quilt picture for the background. Then I played with the color a bit and added the words, in this case my name and date. Six fit on a page easily, so I just printed out 6 of the same one. I have finished several quilts in the past few months, and haven't attached labels, so these will come in handy. If using the photo fabric, be sure to follow the directions on setting the colors.
 After you have set the colors, you can either press the edges under carefully 1/4" or line it and then flip it right side out. That is what I did, as I think it's easier to do that then to fold the edge over consistently.
 Then hand stitch it to the back of the quilt.

Ok, now be honest....do you attach labels to all of your quilts? 

7 comments:

Susan said...

I'll admit it, I only label quilts that require a label or if they are made for a special event (baby, wedding, birthday...). Plain Jane just for me/family quilts don't get labels.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I don't label baby quilts except occasionally writing on the back with permanent marker. I think it would just give the baby something to pick at. As for others, wallhangings yes, lap and bed quilts only sometimes.

Diana Symanowicz said...

I love your tags Jean! Very colorful.

Rosa said...

No,I don´t label.

JustCindy said...

I don't label the grands' quilts, it distresses them. Love the colors in Christie's quilt.

Vivian said...

I add labels to 100% of my quilts. It's just not finished, in my mind, unless that label is stitched in place. I'm saddened when I see antique quilts with nothing--not a hint of info about who and when and where. If only those quilts could tell their story.
It doesn't take long to prevent that from happening in the future with the quilts that we put so much time and effort into. Minimum--2 or 3 facts on our quilts. We're answering questions that don't need to be asked in the future. I personally think we should treat every project we make as though it will be a family heirloom.

Chris H said...

WHOOPS! I think I've labelled about 50% of my quilts, not that I've made that many!