Monday, August 24, 2020

Desert Sky finish



My quilt guild, Piecemakers, hosted Connie Lange, a Judy Niemeyer trained teacher, last summer to speak at our guild meeting. She also did a class to help us learn the techniques and ease of paper piecing the Judy N. way.  It was very informative, and a fun, faster way to pp using strip piecing methods. We did some precutting before class so that we could get a head start on the day of class. The precutting was definitely worth it, as it takes some time in itself. By precutting, we were able to start in with the sewing right away. 
I got about two thirds of it done, then set it aside for awhile to work on other projects for classes. When I finished it a few months ago, I accidently turned some around and sewed them together partially in the wrong order. So up close isn't quite right, but at a distance it looks fine, I think. (If you are reading this Connie, don't look too closely!)

I recently quilted and bound it, so it's officially finished. I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle another Judy pattern any time soon, but it was fun making this one and learning the techniques.
Our guild hasn't met since February because of the virus, so I miss that stimulation of new projects shown and friendly chatter. We were to have several fun sounding classes, but they were cancelled. I hope that we are able to meet again soon!


 

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It is very pretty! I have only done one Judy N pattern too and think maybe I might do another since I have the pattern and papers.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'd like to take a Judy N class one of these days. Your quilt is nice. My little guild has been meeting (outdoors), but my large guild has met only once so far (last week) and it was online. They are going to try an outdoor meeting next month.

Karen said...

This is a great one to have finished! Beautiful quilt. You are rockin" the UFOs!