Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Play day

  As I worked on the Lotus quilt a few weeks ago, I noticed other shapes that the jewels and triangles made that weren't as prominent with the color orientation used in that quilt. I noticed flowers, as well as hexagons, so I wanted to play with the coloring a little. I found some greens/blues/browns that I had purchased last summer, so started cutting jewel shapes and triangles Sunday night. I decided that all the triangles would be the same color, so that they wouldn't distract from the flowers I wanted to make.
They are pretty large pieces, so I wondered if it would look nicer to have them split like this, but I decided I didn't like it as well as the big floral look. 
 I did some digging to find a few more fabrics that looked good with these. I ended up not using that light blue in the center, but put it on the outer edge as a half flower instead because I thought it was too  light. I found a better blue with an uneven check that picked up the other blues better.
Once I had it all on the design wall, I had to figure out where to start. The pieces are sewn into triangles first. With the Lotus, you sew 3 identically colored jewel shapes into a triangle, then place them in rows and sew together.With this coloring, it was harder to see the triangles, so I really had to be careful as I put them together. I only took two off  the wall at a time to work on.
 I have one more row of triangles to make, then will be ready to sew them together. I have a class tonight, so hope to get back to it tomorrow night. It's so much fun to see the pattern come together, isn't it?


2 comments:

Mara said...

It's going to look great!

Karen said...

That's really cool! Have fun!