Monday, September 16, 2013

Play time!

A few weeks ago I started working on some blocks for a baby quilt. I had purchased the tan polka dot fabric because I had an idea in my head that it would look great as the background.I wanted to frame the cute animal print, so I tried several prints for that. I didn't end up liking so much of the tan, so I went back to the drawing board.....
I thought some zigzags would look cute, so I made some using the tan polka dots and a darker teal/blue dot fabric. They turned out cute, but still don't look good with the other blocks. Here I'm trying some of the backing fabric as filler blocks.
I made some blocks to fit with the others, Peas in a Pod style...
Then started playing with an arrangement. All along, I really wanted the bigger animal blocks to stack across the quilt like in the original picture. So I started there and filled in with the rest.
After lots of playing with arrangements yesterday, it's sew together! Now I'm auditioning borders. I really love the zigzag but think it might be too light.
The green/teal dot looks good, but does it blend too much where it touches the green on the large blocks? I could put a small darker teal border on before adding either one, but will have to get something as I don't have anything big enough left. I love the darker teal in the blocks, but it was only a fq and I used  it up!
What do you think?

4 comments:

Julianne said...

What about a small cording instead of a Inner border? You could use the red/orange color or darker green .

Julianne said...

What about a small cording instead of a Inner border? You could use the red/orange color or darker green .

Unknown said...

There is a teal-green in the original pattern. I think pulling from the pattern, more of a solid green, would bring it together nicely. Congratulations on your grandson!

Unknown said...

There is a teal-green in the original pattern. I think pulling from the pattern, more of a solid green, would bring it together nicely. Congratulations on your grandson!