Tuesday, November 19, 2013

All my seams in a row...



After sewing all of the rows of my colorwheel quilt together, I got ready to press them. Since they were still connected by thread, I wondered if it would be hard to press them in alternating directions, so I got out my smaller travel iron and just pressed every other row the same direction and then turned it around and pressed the remaining rows the other direction.
It worked pretty well. Then I started sewing them together...pinning first. I thought about trying it without pinning, since they were connected by threads, but I don't have very good luck when I don't pin, so I always pin when sewing rows together.

Getting close to the end!

One final press, pressing all the long rows in one direction.
And it's finished! Now to quilt.

I did spend some time trying to quilt the baby quilt I loaded last week, but I am having nothing but trouble with the top thread breaking. I tried basically everything I could think of ...changing needle, rethreading, adjusting the tension, and I'm still having trouble with thread skipping and breaking. I have adjusted how close the quilt is to the machine, as I think that might be the problem (maybe the thread is catching on the quilt on the roller bar? Iknow it's a long shot, but I am out of ideas.) But after messing with it for a couple of hours, I had to quit for the day so I don't know if that fixed it. I still have to go back and redo a couple of spots before I can move on. Luckily it's not very big!
I spent some time after work helping my daughter pack last night...she is buying a house, so is starting to be buried under boxes. I can't wait until she gets moved in...hopefully in about 2 weeks.

3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Very nice colorwash. I hope your students enjoy the process too!

Teresa Quilts said...

Beautiful!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Impressive! I wish mine looked so nice and neat.

Smiles,
Kelly